Sunday, January 17, 2010

the garden

Today I had to do some damage control in my veg garden. It seems that cutworms have been attacking my beans. I have lost 3 in the last two days....
My book, along with advice from a friend who has a fantastic vegetable garden, came to the rescue. I cut toilet rolls in half and put them around the base of the surviving beans. They had to be sunk into the soil so the worms cannot get to the stems. I also put sticks into the soil, 5cm deep right next to the stalks - this apparently prevents the cutworms from doing their thing. I planted some new beans to replace those I had lost and they were planted in the toilet rolls that were sunk into the ground. I will have to wait and see what happens...
I fed my garden with worm tea and vermi compost. Another pot was painted to finally plant my lemon thyme that has been waiting to be planted for a while.I harvested two hand fulls of cherry tomatoes. I usually get a good handful every second day. These go into salads, veg bakes or mince dishes.
I also harvested some coriander..... I just love the taste of fresh coriander!
I made us a delicious Moroccan flat bread with garlic, chillies, cheese, bulgarian yoghurt and fresh coriander for lunch. We ate that with some left over lamb chops and and salads. A great meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to visit! Please feel free to leave a comment, it's lovely to hear from you!