Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Garden

Well it has been a full week of hard work for the whole family around the garden. We have talked of planting a vegetable garden for a long time and now I cannot contain my excitement as we have finally begun with this project.


I was so thrilled on Christmas day when T gave me my own copy of "Jane's Delicious Garden" by Jane Griffiths. I had been browsing through her copy before our holiday and also spent much of my holiday reading my sisters copy. It really inspired me as Jane makes it look so easy with all her wonderful explanations and step by step guides. It is also a South African book which means it goes according to our seasons etc. I was also very inspired by Ts garden and my sisters abundant garden in Ladybrand.



The pots that I inherited from my mum when she left CT have been long overdue for a revamp. They have been scraped down and given a new lease on life with a fresh coat of paint. Much of the soil has been replaced and they have been replanted with rosemary, mint, marjoram, oregano, tomatoes, basil, lettuce and radishes...oops forgot the lavender!


Rosemary and radishes in the big pot.



The back breaking work of digging up the grass in our chosen spot was done by my husband and eldest son. The little ones helped to remove all the stones and roots.



My clever hubby made some boxes to contain the veg garden and the soil has been enriched with loads of compost and organic fertilizer.
Together with my big boy, he made some gum pole tripods for the one bed. The planting and mulching has been done: sweetcorn, cucumbers, asparagus, butternut, peas, cauliflower, cabbages, watermelon, rhubarb, lemon balm, spring onions, basil, beans, courgettes and more!
Every morning I am up and out to check on the progress. I find it fascinating to see the daily progress...a new leaf on the basil or a little radish poking some leaves up through the soil.
Sadly my camera is giving up and so I couldn't get a photo of the newly planted beds...hopefully it wont be long before I can replace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to visit! Please feel free to leave a comment, it's lovely to hear from you!