Thursday, May 19, 2011

Farm Bounty

On her impromptu visit, my dear sister brought bags full of the freshest vegetables from the farm. We had great fun trying all sorts of new recipes!

Some of the bounty was prepared for the freezer and we are still enjoying adding these veg to our meals now. My sister made a tasty savoury pie with some of the patty pans. We ate fresh, crunchy,red cabbage coleslaw and steamed baby pumpkins.
On the night my brother and his wife and the sweet little baby came for dinner..... (just had to put in a picture of him on his his first outing !)

.....dear sweet Aunty C taught Z how to make a Zucchini Chocolate Cake! I have always admired the way my sister teaches little people. She is so patient and Z loved learning from her. I have not been able to keep him out of the kitchen since then.

The result was a really messy kitchen and an absolutely delicious cake that we will be making again!

Here is the recipe from Meals without meat by Alison Holst if you would like to try it:
125g butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups grated zucchini
1/2 to 1 cup small pieces chocolate (the recipe says optional but I say required! )

Beat butter and sugars until light and creamy
Add eggs one at a time with a spoonful of measured flour to prevent curdling
Add vanilla and yogurt and mix well
Sift dry ingredients and stir in with grated zucchini
Turn into pan and sprinkle surface with required chocolate
Bake at 170 C for 45 minutes

I think it would be decadent served with a dollop of fresh cream or ice cream!

While on the topic of food, I have been enjoying the small but steady harvests from my garden.
I have been making basil pesto, more chili jam (I never buy shop chili sauce anymore) and recently made a delicious broccoli pickle, best eaten with cheese or cold meats.

Tomatoes have been a good price and I recently bought a big bag on special and added some of my own baby tomatoes from the garden to make about 5 jars of Indian tomato sauce. I wanted to make Indian tomato sauce as I was trying a new recipe for sweet potato curry in coconut milk which required them. This curry recipe came from the latest Your Family magazine. I have so been enjoying this gift of a years subscription from my mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to visit! Please feel free to leave a comment, it's lovely to hear from you!