Sunday, March 18, 2012

Colourful Corn

On the weekend I tried out my own version of "Asian crunchy coleslaw" from my Jane's Delicious Kitchen book. This colourful salad certainly was a hit, even though I didn't have all the correct ingredients on hand.


I picked a beautiful red cabbage from the garden, one that had grown in a pot, on the patio.
I added some 'farm" corn and grated carrots, 
shredded fresh basil and spring onions (from the garden naturally)
The dressing:
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
a splash of olive oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
a splash of lime and coriander salad dressing
and a dash of chili oil
As Jane says,
 "Once you have tasted this salad....you will find it difficult to go back to coleslaw with mayonnaise!"
Her recipe calls for a few extras, but my adaptation was simply delicious!

During the week, I made something I have not made in years...


Ratatouille!

As a child, we ate this often....
it brought back some fond childhood memories.
With all the corn, I need to find interesting and different ways to prepare it.
 My sister had also brought some aubergines from her farm veg garden.....they needed to be eaten.
Onions, celery, tomatoes, corn, aubergine, courgettes, veg stock and seasoning made this a tasty meal, served on baked potatoes.

Next week I will need to find some interesting ways to prepare butternuts, aubergines and summer squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to visit! Please feel free to leave a comment, it's lovely to hear from you!