Thursday, July 3, 2014

Slow Living Essentials Monthly 9 Link -Up: June 2014


Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour."   John Boswell

NOURISH: 
With cold weather it's been comfort food. Sausage stew in a rich herb and tomato sauce or meatballs in tomato and red wine sauce, nourishing chicken soup with cheesy garlic scones or spicy nachos. Staying clear of carbs is not so easy in this cold weather and lunch is sometimes a batch of low GI flapjacks or pancakes.

PREPARE
Nothing much except the last of my basil harvest made into big batch of pesto with a hint of chili, delicious on  cheese toasties!

REDUCE: 
With cooler temperatures we have needed to keep warm. Instead of electric heaters, we have been layering on the clothing and I am often seen with a blanket wrapped around me Basotho style. 
We have also enjoyed log fires. 

GREEN:
 Nothing new.

GROW: 
I didn't plan my winter garden too well this year so the harvest is very small. I am still picking handfuls of cherry tomatoes, chilies, herbs and granadillas. We have a few lemons on the tree and a couple of sweet potatoes. My strawberries are just starting to produce.


“The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses.” - Hanna Rion

CREATE:
I made beanies for my friend's two girls. 
I love the way the wool self stripes.


 I promised myself not to buy any more wool this month and knitted up another two snoods with wool I had. One was meant to be a scarf for hubby but when there wasn't enough wool, I had to go and buy more to make a new scarf for him as they no longer had stock of the wool I had been using. And then I saw wool I loved...oh dear, I just cannot go into the wool shop without buying something!

DISCOVER: 
This month I have been reading some novels. Its been fun to read again. Zak and I have also been discovering Ancient Greece for school read aloud time.

ENHANCE
My nephew has been spending Monday afternoons with us as usual while his mum is at work.
 I have not ventured out into the cold early morning air to join my walking group. I have however tried to fit in a few walks later in the day when its sunny and a little warmer.

ENJOY:
I certainly have enjoyed the month which despite much school work, has taken a slower pace. 
Long naps have brought much restorative and needed rest. 
We have enjoyed catching up over dinner with friends we haven't seen in a while, log fires and cozy read aloud times.
The kids spoiled hubby for Father's Day and Father's day and breakfast with my Dad and brother was wonderful. 
My girl and I enjoyed a  girlfriends getaway evening at the movies where we were thoroughly spoiled with red carpet treatment. 
We enjoyed seeing our youngest's art on exhibition at his art school. 
The school term came to a close and we are now enjoying a much needed break. 

Wonderful to reflect, thanks Christine!

Slow Living Essentials Monthly 9 link up - Grab my button!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to visit! Please feel free to leave a comment, it's lovely to hear from you!