Monday, November 22, 2010

Health Bread

On Friday I did my grocery shop for the week ahead. As usual I bought our supply of low gi bread. I was most upset to find that the bread was mouldy! Any way, when life hands you lemons, make lemonade, or in this case bread!

K and I hunted for a low gi recipe on Sunday night as we needed bread for Monday. As my chicken and roasties were in the oven, a loaf of the most delicious healthy low gi bread baked alongside it. Here is the recipe especially for you mum.

HEALTH BREAD
250ml cake flour
2ml salt
5ml baking powder
250ml whole wheat flour (I dint have so i used extra normal flour)
250ml high fibre cereal (I used bran cereal)
250ml low gi oats (I used oat bran)
125ml sultanas (I mixed in some raisins too)
60ml sunflower seeds
5ml bicarb
500ml low fat, plain or fruit yoghurt (I used plain)

Preheat oven to 180 C
Sift first 3 ingredients
Add whole wheat flour, cereal, oats, sultanas and sunflower seeds
Add bicarb to yoghurt and let it stand until it foams slightly.
Stir into dry ingredients.
Spoon into loaf tin and bake for about 1 hour.

It is so delicious on its own but even better with honey and cheese!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You ccok like me - switching ingredients to suit my pantry. It keeps the family guessing and the interest up. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to visit! Please feel free to leave a comment, it's lovely to hear from you!