Friday, March 6, 2009

crystals and cupcakes and more

The kitchen has been a hive of activity this week. The children have made crystals and J has done loads of Science experiments. It has been lots of fun! He had the younger 2 stumped when he got a paperclip to float in a bowl of water. Try as they might, they could not do it!

Try it! There is a trick to it!


The kids were fascinated by the crystals!

K spent time baking a batch of delicious cupcakes for her Keepers of the Faith. More to follow on that soon...


Done all on her own!

3 comments:

  1. I stumbled across your blog today and the crystal thing seems really cool.

    Can you tell me how to do it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonathan, I checked out your blog and am sorry to hear of your difficult journey with cancer but hey man, you sound like a real fighter!!!Keep up the positive attitude and keep up the fight! My dad happens to be the top Neurosurgeon in South Africa so this kind of problem is interesting to me.
    Anyway, of course I will tell you how to make the crystals..ours could have worked better but the kids still loved them anyway.
    You need pipe cleaners, epsom salts,food colouring,cotton thread, a pencil, a wide mouthed glass jar.
    Twist and cut the pipe cleaners into a shape that will fit easily into the mouth of the jar.Dissolve 200g epsom salts in 100ml hot water and add a drop of colour.Tie cotton to pipecleaner and pencil so the shape hangs suspended in your solution.The shape must just hang in the solution and not be totally submerged.Leave in a warm place for 2 or 3 days. let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me know how to do it!! I'm going to ask my dad if I can do it with my cousins soon. Also thanks for letting me know to check the commenter here =]

    That is awesome that your dad is a Neurosurgeon, I want to be one also when I am older.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to visit! Please feel free to leave a comment, it's lovely to hear from you!