Sunday, April 18, 2010

Kitchen and garden



I have been wanting to get my hands onto "Eating For Sustained Energy 3" for some time and I now have my own copy! We try to eat a low GI diet most of the time and this book has so many great looking recipes for things that would not normally be considered as low GI, or healthy for diabetics. Today I tried out a recipe for a sweet potato spice cake....with lemon cream cheese icing....yummy!

While the oven was on, I whipped up a batch of banana muffins and a chili corn bread too. I like to make sure that I fill the oven with more than 1 item at a time. It is great to have a stash of healthy treats for the hungry , growing children! We enjoyed the bread with a braai this evening and the cake for desert. Even my selective eater enjoyed the cake!
In the garden, as we near winter, there is not a whole lot going on. I planted some red cabbage and pulled out the lettuce that had gone to seed and replaced them with some more lettuce. One of the nearby supermarkets sells 6 packs of seedlings for just under R10. It is so reasonable and I love popping in there just to check if they have anything new for me to plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to visit! Please feel free to leave a comment, it's lovely to hear from you!